Deaf awareness workshops
Our Think.Deaf.Discover. workshops provides training to businesses and organisations about Deaf culture, the Deaf community and overcoming communication barriers with Deaf clients ensuring all customers receive a positive experience. The programme provides an insight into the Deaf world, explores New Zealand Sign Language, Deaf culture and the Deaf community.
We also provide free workshops for Health professionals which are funded by the Ministry of Health.
Who would benefit from the workshops?
If you are keen to create a service which is all inclusive, embraces diversity and provides equal access and services to all then this course is for you, your team, your colleagues, friends and family.
What is included in the workshop?
The workshop covers:
- Effective communication strategies.
- Overview of the Deaf community.
- Deaf culture and Deaf history.
- What is a Deaf friendly environment.
- Making information accessible for Deaf people.
- New Zealand Sign Language interpreters: how to book and work with them.
- Introduction to New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL).
How long are the workshops for?
Clients can choose between:
- One comprehensive day (also available in two half days).
- Introductory workshop (four hours).
- 1.5 hour foundation workshop.
Who delivers the workshops?
Workshops are presented by professional and highly skilled Deaf trainers using a very interactive delivery style. Sign language interpreters will be available to make sure each participant is able to communicate clearly with the trainer. We work hard to make each presentation lively and interesting. Workshops can be held at your premises or at one of our offices.
How do I book a workshop?
Contact us and request a Think.Deaf.Discover workshop.