Deaf Aotearoa is a Deaf-led, not-for-profit organisation. We are the only nationwide provider of services to Deaf people and provide information on a range of services, including legal advice, education opportunities and employment issues.
Deaf Aotearoa also works with government agencies, businesses and other organisations to provide information and resources on life for Deaf New Zealanders, the Deaf community and NZSL.
Deaf Aotearoa’s primary services are:
- Service Coordination
- Employment consultancy
- Equipment service
- Community relations and information
- Transition programmes
- Provide access to information and services
- Encourage Deaf New Zealanders to pursue opportunities that will better their lives, be independent and to chase their dreams
- Promote NZSL both nationally and regionally in communities throughout the country
- Offer Think.Deaf.Discover and Think.Sign.Connect workplace training programmes
- Facilitate ongoing academic research and provides resources for local and national government
- Lobby for better access to opportunities and services on behalf of New Zealand’s Deaf communities
- Organise the annual New Zealand Sign Language Week
Deaf Aotearoa also represents New Zealand Deaf internationally as members of the World Federation of the Deaf.