Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Deaf Aotearoa!
There are lots of reasons to belong, one being it’s free to join! You don’t have to be Deaf - membership is open to all people whether they are hearing or Deaf.
By becoming a member you’ll:
- Help us represent your community on issues of national importance
- Stay in touch with our weekly, monthly and quarterly newsletters
- Be the first to get information on workshops, events, new resources and international news
Your membership support makes it possible for us to:
- Preserve and expand Deaf awareness, culture, language and heritage efforts.
- Advocate for the civil rights of Deaf and hearing-impaired New Zealanders, including legal, employment, health care, emergency services and education access, such as the recent 111 TXT service
- Develop future Deaf and hearing-impaired leaders through youth programmes and services, such as Outward Bound’s Deaf Adventure course which occurs biennially.
- Work towards communication access, including technology, visual media and telecommunications accessibility such as the recent interpreting at the Christchurch earthquake briefings
- Strengthen DANZ's representation base and provide influence on public policy, legislation and advocacy issues.
- Handle public information and referrals; effectively respond to inquiries and requests for information.
- And much more!